Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pain

Pain
I was not sure if I wanted to share this painting with all of you. I usually like to make things that make me happy but this painting is a total bummer. It is of my former room mate who passed away in May. Just like I was talking about with the energy in the previous painting, I felt like there was a lot of pain and guilt still lingering in this world even after his death. For me, the painting is a monstrous manifestation of those things. After a certain amount of time of working on this it started getting to me, and I dreamt one night I talked to him. He said I should have painted a black man instead. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

3 comments:

fp said...

In my opinion, this one is your best painting among the ones I have seen. Very powerful and very moving. The fact that you didn't finish it reflects your roommate's life cut short, so I think it really is complete as it is.

Gianna Paniagua said...

Even though it isn't finished, it still looks really nice. It has a raw energy to it because of the brush work and the colors

Anonymous said...

Oh Thom…It's so lovely.